Altra shoes are designed for athletes and running enthusiasts to allow natural leg movement and stride. Featuring sturdy design and cushion to allow easy foot movement within the shoe, athletes can run consistently and naturally.
Based on factors like value for money, vetting, quality, and customer reviews, we have selected the top 5 Altra Escalante Running shoes for men and women.
- Price – around $86
- 100% Synthetic
- Rubber sole
- Zero drop platform, stack height: 25mm
- Weight: 8.2 oz
- Responsive Altra Ego midsole
The Escalante new Altra Ego-equipped runner is designed for men who like to run at high speeds with ample energy and no hurdles. The sleek aesthetic adds to the appeal of the performance shoe – looking good while running or while heading to a coffee shop.
The high-speed performance of the shoe can be attributed to the sock-like fit, offering a great grip. The engineered knit upper offers optimum flexibility. Altra EGO is a proprietary foam blend built on Altra’s PFS performance with a responsive Altra Ego midsole and decoupled heel.
This shoe is designed for an energetic rebound, fast-paced runs, and minimal ground contact.
- The Footshape Toe Box for flexibility, stability, and power
- A zero-drop platform for natural alignment and low-impact landing
- The dual-nature midsole offers a responsive and soft feel for maximum energy return
- Footpod technology for flexibility
- Customers say that it is a very comfortable shoe for distance running
- Sleek and attractive design
- No flat-foot support
- Price – $90 – $200
- Foam sole
- Signature Altra Balanced Cushioning
- FootShape toe
- Original Altra EGO foam
- InnerFlex midsole technology
The Altra 2.5 running shoes are super comfortable footwear that can be worn for all-day comfort. From long walks to short runs, or even running errands, you will feel energetic and lightweight on your feet.
The midsole combination of Altra EGO™ and InnerFlex™ offers a soft, responsive ride with added flexibility for consistent performance.
Enjoy your runs in these low-impact shoes as they are equipped with the signature Altra Balanced Cushioning and FootShape toe boxes, that help aid in better alignment and form.
The outsole technology encourages natural movement underfoot so that your feet do not feel the strain, and running speeds are optimized.
We would not recommend this shoe for high-speed running as some customers have complained of pain in their legs and hips. This is definitely a great shoe for shorter spurts of running.
- Added energy return and a responsive, yet soft, comfortable feel
- Signature Altra Balanced Cushioning and FootShape toe boxes allow ample room to your toes and encourage proper, low-impact form throughout your run
- InnerFlex midsole technology gives increased flexibility, leading to a better performance
- Lock In technology keeps your foot comfortable and locked in
- Can lead to pain in the legs and hips after long runs
- Customer reviews state that the upper is stretchy and does not feel completely secure
- Price:$139 – $160
- Foam sole
- Altra EGO foam offers greater energy return and a responsive and comfortable feel
- Signature Altra Balanced Cushioning and FootShape
- InnerFlex midsole technology ensures increased flexibility and performance
- The sock-like engineered knit upper keeps your foot locked in
As an upgrade to the previous models, Altra Escalante 3 leaves you pleasantly surprised with modern and updated features.
The upgraded version has more structure and an improved sock-like mesh upper material that adds elasticity while keeping your feet locked into the footwear. In older shoe versions, any lateral movement could lead to rolling.
In this model, the redesigned upper gives a firmer feel. In an attempt to improve the customer’s performance, Altra has augmented the latest techniques for greater performance and a comfortable run.
These shoes have better padding that offers quality support on the heel cushioning while keeping the heel firmly planted for longer runs. These shoes have an improved fit with the sock-like upper material and added elastic throughout.
The wet grip of the shoe is better when compared to older models. This shoe has a multitude of uses – it can be used as an everyday shoe, a neutral shoe, a trail shoe, or a daily trainer.
The Escalante 3.0 behaves more like a barefoot shoe than the 2.5, mostly due to the firmer foam in the midsole. One of the most versatile shoes in the Escalante Altra line, this cushioned shoe will protect your heel and offer maximum flexibility in different terrains.
This is a bonus for all weather-runners who like to continue their runs year round. If you are looking for a slow-run shoe that offers a comfortable and sturdy grip, the Altra Escalante 3 is your pick!
- The right amount of cushion for longer runs
- An updated version in fit, style, and comfort to older shoe models
- A much improved upper, with a more sideways “C” shape and a more static material that further improves the shoe’s lockdown.
- People with narrow feet find the fitting excellent
- Some customers find the soles bulky and heavier than the previous versions
- The shoe is narrower in this updated model, an issue with runners who have wide toes
- Insole – 5 mm Contour Footbed
- Price: $113 – $183
- Midsole – Race-tuned Altra EGO with InnerFlex
- Outsole – FootPod Technology
- Outer material – Microfiber
- Low cushioning
- INNERFLEX™ technology
- Engineered Knit Upper
When speed and performance come together in the Altra Escalante, we get the Escalante racer, for your high-intensity running performances.
This race-ready road shoe is built with the powerfully plush Altra EGO™ midsole that’s a touch firmer for more energy return and better response. The static mesh upper is the perfect combination of comfortable, lightweight, and breathable. This feature makes footwork a breeze so that you can run that extra mile.
This is a performance running shoe designed for women athletes who take speed and performance seriously. Whether you want to get ready to race or just add more distance to your training runs, the Escalante Racer is your racing shoe to help reach your speed goals.
This show may not be perfect for everyone – women with narrower foot shapes may find that these running shoes could pose an issue.
- The grid-like grooves in the midsole are designed to provide flexibility and movement
- The mesh allows drainage even in the rain
- Roomy toe box
- A little firmer with less cushion for greater energy return
- Lightweight and comfortable running shoes
- Slightly narrow
- Laces are short in some pairs
- Price: $72 – $235
- Original Altra EGO foam
- Signature Altra Balanced Cushioning and FootShape toe boxes
- InnerFlex midsole technology
- The sock-like engineered knit upper keeps your foot in place
The Altra Escalante women’s 2.5 road running shoes are a do-it-all trainer shoe that you can wear on running trails, daily shopping trips and meetups with friends!
The Altra EGO foam is designed to provide added energy return and a responsive, yet soft, comfortable, feel. This shoe is paired with Inner flex midsole technology that enhances flexibility.
Signature Altra Balanced Cushioning and FootShape toe boxes allow your toes enough room to encourage proper, low-impact form, so that you can concentrate on improving your performance.
Run fast and comfortably in these zero-drop shoes that house the Zero Drop™ platforms (0mm heel-to-toe drop), where the heel and forefoot are the same distance from the ground for natural alignment and low-impact landing.
With this technology, you can be sure that your feet are secure and protected. You can continue running without worrying about sprains and stress fractures.
To top it off, the rubber outsoles with Innerflex™ groove technology enhance the flex of your gait, further reducing the chances of tears and injuries. The outsole technology enables greater positioning and flexibility of your foot to bed it naturally.
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Offers heel stability in long courses of running
- Comfortable room for toes, no cramping or twisting of feet
- Great for high-speed running and training sessions
- A customer complained that the arch collapsed causing ankle pain
- Less arch support
Altra Escalante Running Shoes – Core Technologies
Altra shoes was created when high school running friends decided to design shoes the way people naturally run. Rightfully so, Altra shoes are one of the pioneers in making shoes for recreational and professional runners.
Let’s discuss some technologies that they incorporate into their running shoes.
The forefoot in an Altra is much wider than on other shoes. The wide toe box allows the foot to expand and gives the toes ample room.
Altra shoes are available in 3 different foot shapes – original, standard, and slim. These foot shapes are designed to keep different runner preferences in mind.
Designed for natural leg movement within the shoe, this feature allows your big toe to remain straightened and comfortable for maximum stability and support.
Balanced Cushioning – ZeroDrop
This technology impliesthe shoe’s heel-to-toe drop (the height difference from the heel to the forefoot). The feature that sets apart Altra from the rest of the brands is that Altra shoes have little to no drop.
This makes sure your foot sits flat instead of sloping downward from heel to toe. This feature encourages your natural gait and promotes a lower-impact landing.
The ZeroDrop design offers optimum heel-toe offset so that the heel and forefoot are at an equal distance from the ground. This feature improves stability and promotes natural foot movement.
Running shoes with this technology are molded to match a woman’s natural feet alignment. These shoes have a narrower heel and midfoot, and a higher instep, to better align with women’s longer arches. These shoes help a woman stay comfortable, even in long-distance runs.
How We Selected These Shoes
First, we reviewed the performance, features, and insights from experts and running enthusiasts. Next, we consulted customer reviews to prepare this list of the best Altra Escalante running shoes.
Ultimately, we settled on this list of five shoes, which represent a mix of exemplary features, performance, and affordable pricing from Altra.
A favorite with runners, the Altra Escalante offers easy availability of wide and sometimes extra-wide sizes. If you need a running shoe with a wide toe box, these shoes are a perfect choice.
The Escalante line of Altra shoes is one of the most versatile choices for runners. With its middling cushioning, it’s great for distance runs, track practice, and daily training. These shoes also sport a bounce which makes them feel light and comfortable.
Our testers have worn it for everything from marathons to track workouts. The company has launched the latest version, with a sock-like upper with added elastic. This will provide a more comfortable fit for your foot.
Under the shoe is the Ego cushioning, creating a balance between energy return and shock absorption.
While lower-cost running shoes may initially save you money, you’ll need to spend a bit more if you’re looking for a solid, reliable Altra Escalante running shoe. These shoes take care of your feet, and prevent injuries, while still improving your speed and performance.
The shoes on this list provide the best value for the money. Altra shoes are well-designed and made from high-quality materials. The Altra Escalante shoes on this list have been tried by numerous athletes and recreational runners, and mostly have positive customer reviews.
From running on tracks, roads, or treadmills, to braving difficult pathways, this shoe will forever support your feet. Designed for everyday training and professional workouts, these shoes will make you feel a huge difference when compared to other running brands.